I don't know too much about Winston, but I have used bunyan for a while
now.

What's nice about bunyan is that each log command will write to a single
line in the log file.  Whenever you need to do some investigation by search
for key words, you can easily grep the logs and pipe the output into bunyan
for pretty output:

cat app.log | grep <USER_ID> | bunyan

The downside of this is that the logs are not very readable unless you use
bunyan.  In general this may not be an issue, but for large log files it
can cause a lot of slow down since bunyan needs to parse all the lines.  So
if you open the file and then search for a word, bunyan will need to parse
everything from the top of the file to the first occurrence of the
keyword.  If the files are really big and/or your machines can get into low
memory situations, I've even had an issue where I couldn't open a large log
file with bunyan probably because it requires more memory than `less` alone.

If I were starting a new project I would choose a logger based on the
following:  am I using a logging aggregation service like splunk?  If so,
choose a logger that works well with that service.  If not, I would
probably just choose a logger that didn't require a command line tool for
readability.  It's easier if you can simply use grep+less (grep has -A -B
flags anyway) for browsing.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/08bb52ae-509f-4930-b822-62e4a76336eb%40googlegroups.com.