I have this library: https://github.com/dhilst/webpacklibraryexample

I can install it by running npm install --save
git+https://github.com/dhilst/webpacklibraryexample.git

The "prepare" scripts runs webpack which bundles the library (I can see the
dist/ folder), but I can't see any devDependencies of webpacklibraryexample
installed at node_modules or node_modules/webpacklibraryexample or
anywhere. Where are they!? What kind of dark magic is this?

I created this code because I facing another problem which I was trying to
reproduce, the original problem is a major library that wont build when
installed as dependence or dev dependence. At beginning it wont install the
devDependencies, so the webpack wasn't found during *postinstall* script. I
solved this by using this *"postinstall": "npm installl & webpack" *but now
it fails to build because some loader is missing, so flow stuff is
considered syntax error.

I have no idea about how npm deals with dependencies. My intuition says
that when you install a package it install its dependencies and
devDependencies at node_modules folder, or inside
*node_modules/<dep>/node_modules* and so on, ... as long as *npm config get
production* is false. But in the first case I can't see the dev deps
installed and in the second it there are missing stuff. I'm really lost,

Regards,

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/nodejs/83eea9ab-1800-4af4-936d-d96342937555%40googlegroups.com.