On 06/29/2016 08:02 AM, Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 29/06/16 12:41, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>
>> I suspect the problem may actually be the virtual 'Provides: npm(npm)' since
>> we
>> had to drop the epoch on that for other reasons. Since that virtual Provides
>> went backwards and other packages in the transaction have explicit "Requires:
>> npm(npm) >= something" in them, DNF is trying to pull in the package that
>> satisfies the highest version of that virtual dependency available.
>
> There is only one package in the repo that requires npm(npm) though and
> that is kosmtik which currently requires:
>
> npm(npm) >= 2.15.5
> npm(npm) < 3
>
> Which matches the nodejs provided version. Note that it was broken and
> requiring
> v3 but I fixed that in a zero day update.
>
> Even without kosmtik installed you still hit the problem on upgrade though so
> long as you have both npm and nodejs installed.
>
> Tom

I suppose we need to run some experiments, but I suspect that DNF is seeing
"Hey, I have a package that Provides: npm(npm) = 2.15.5 and one that Provides:
npm = 3.5.4. I should pull that one in."

It's debatable whether this is a bug in DNF or us, because downgrades have
always been a pain in the neck.