On 09/15/2016 09:33 AM, Robert Van Voorhees wrote:
> Knocking out Firefox seems pretty painful from a usability standpoint,
> especially when answers online are floating around introduced the --best and
> --allowerasing (admittedly from me, but that was back when we had the libuv
> problem)
>
> Not to mention the historical ugliness of gnome-shell on rawhide.  Is that now
> par for the course, or is there anything you can do to mitigate it?
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 9:25 AM Stephen Gallagher <sgall...@redhat.com
> <mailto:sgall...@redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/15/2016 09:17 AM, Robert Van Voorhees wrote:
>     > Hey guys, anyone notice that updating to Node 6.5 is pulling in a whole
>     lot more
>     > stuff now than it used to?  I'm trying to make the move from 6.3 to
> 6.5, and
>     > it's forcing updates to gnome-shell, uninstalling Firefox, and a whole
>     range of
>     > weird behavior.  Does it have something to do with upgrading v8, or one
> of the
>     > other dependencies?
>     >

>     If that was 6.3.0 to 6.5.0, then it probably has to do with the fact that
> we
>     added a dependency on libicu to support internationalization. That's a
> pretty
>     heavily-used library, and I suspect it's causing you to need to update
> other
>     stuff that relies on it.
>
>     We added the icu support in 6.3.1. Libicu is troublesome, in that it bumps
>     SOname on every upstream release, so everything has to be rebuilt against
> it.
>     Since Node.js is built against the latest release (57), it probably had to
>     update everything that you had on your system that was depending on
> version 56.

So, it shouldn't be attempting to erase Firefox... I'm not sure what combination
of requirements and --best or --allowerasing is doing that, but you shouldn't
have that experience if you just ran `dnf update`. (In general, don't add --best
or --allowerasing until and unless you're having an issue...)

Firefox is compiled against libicu 57 just like Node.js, so I don't know why it
would be getting removed. Most likely, you have something else on your system
that is compiled against libicu 56 and doesn't have an available update that
uses 57. Possibly in a third-party repo?