Ragging in premier league

Statesman News Service
KOLKATA, Aug. 26. — Even the state's premier medical institute is not free from the menace of ragging. A few first year students of the Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education and Research (IPGMER) complained to the additional director of the institute today, alleging that one second-year student, Manoj Kumar Mahato, had attempted to rag them last night.
Students alleged that the accused "directed" the first-year girl students to come to the boys' hostel in "college uniform" around 9 p.m. When the girls were entering the boys' hostel, the first-year boarders asked them to go back. Today, the first-year students started agitating and sent a deputation to the additional director, Dr PK Deb, demanding action. The angry students said they would take up the matter with the Human Rights Commission and the anti-ragging cell. The institute has asked the accused to temporarily vacate the hostel.
An institute official said on condition of anonymity: "We have formed an inquiry panel. Any one found guilty will be punished as per law." The IPGMER director, Dr Probir Sur, declined comment.

Ragging net widens

Statesman News Service
JALPAIGURI, Aug. 26. — Close on the heels of ragging of four first-year students of Jalpaiguri Polytechnic Institute, the scene has now shifted to Prasanna Deb Women's College here, with four first-year students of the college alleging that they were ragged and physically tortured by their seniors. While two of the ragged girls have left for their homes, the two others are still staying at the college hostel waiting for their guardians to come and rescue them.
The four students of the college — Debashmita Mandal, Jayashree Chakraborty, Babli Saha and Khushbu Biswakarma — alleged that they were being ragged by their seniors from the very first day of their entry into the college hostel. Debashmita, who has left for her home, alleged that her seniors started ragging her, both mentally and physically, from 10 August, her first day in the hostel. "They used to tease me hurling invectives besides torturing me physically," Debashmita alleged. "Finally, I lost my patience and left for home at Birpara on 14 August," she added.
Debashmita's mother, Mrs Shampa Mandal, said that they have brought the matter to the notice of the college authorities. "My daughter will continue to study in the same college but we will no more send her to the hostel."
The principal-in-charge of the college, Mrs Uma Bajpai, said that she had received a verbal complaint from the guardian of Debashmita. "If a written complaint is submitted to us, we will start an investigation into the allegation," she said. With three other students of the college alleging that they were similarly ragged by their seniors as Debashmita, the college authorities are in trouble.
Meanwhile, one more first year student of Jalpaiguri Polytechnic Institute, Manish Gupta, yesterday left for his home, alleging that he was ragged by his seniors.

<b>Coalition to Uproot Ragging from Education (CURE)</b>

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS