Hi,

On 15 maj 2009, at 11.02, Jonas Brømsø Nielsen wrote:
Hi Andrew,

I have "heard" of two other "proposals".

- Göteborg in Sweden
- Reykjavik in Iceland
- and I am thinking about organizing "something" in Copenhagen in 2010

Actually Salve and I tried to persuade Panu Ervamaa (pnu) of Helsinki.pm to arrange it there next year.

As far as I know Reykjavik has not actually said anything. I belive it was brian d foy who wished it would be hosted there.

Nothing is settled yet though.

I am actually more keen on the idea of a Baltic Perl Workshop, traveling between the 3 countries. I am not saying that we will not promote it and a lot of people will probably attend.

I'll second that. Nordic Perl Workshop is as the name suggest primarily targeted at the Nordic countries and their locals as we have very much in common between us.

My primary objection to hosting it in Riga is that of the Baltic states are not part (yet) of the Nordic countries nor share our common ancestry or language (sorry for being slightly nationalistic). However given the poor state of the economy and government of Lithuania I wouldn't be surprised if they hand over their country to swedish banks real soon and when that happens I guess it's ok to go =)

From a historic perspective

NPW, started out as SPW (Scandinavian Perl Workshop), but the Helsinki.pm wanted to join (but never did). Anyway, we think we are too small a language group, so it was interesting for us to collaborate with Sweden and later Norway. This was from the beginning due to the proximity of our countries and relations through local Linux User Group (SSLUG), which used to be the largest in the world until the Brazillians discovered the Internet, Open Source and Orkut.

NPW was the first workshop to cross country borders, but we simply do this our of necessity and to attract the audience.

We do as such not have a board evaluating proposals, so nothing can stop anybody from organizing a NPW, so we might even have several in a year, the annual things is also pure coincidence.

The closets thing of a board we do have is the blessing of previous organizer group leaders - that being Jonas, Salve and me.

/claes