Dear Swakshar
You are absolutely right in your question. In fact it was Assam that started
the Neolithic Rice revolution 6000 BC. Rice was domesticated here by the
Austrics. It is from Assam that Rice cultivation went to India. That is one
reason why rice is the staple food in the eastern and south India while
wheat (Roti) which came from the middle east is the stapel food in North and
West India.

We at Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters are also asking the same question,
what went wrong in Assam. I am sure that people have probably written about
it. But I am yet to see any good explanation. In my view the North East is
going through a dark age so far as information is concerned. I am personally
still exploring the issue. BTW I have recently written an article
titled,*"The Neolithic Rice Revolution of North East India"
*. If you (or anybody) are interested, I would be happy to send you a copy.

I would request you to pursue the question seriously and find some good
answers. I would direct you to such institutions as *Assam Agriculture
University* and others.(www.*aau.ac.in).

*Please keep us posted of your exploration.

Best Wishes.

Rajen Barua
Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters
Houston, Texas