On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:20:27 -0500, Jameson Rollins
<jroll...@finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:26:47 -0800, Carl Worth <cwo...@cworth.org> wrote:

> > > It then checks the unread status in order to decide whether to proceed
> > > to the next again. So with your patch notmuch-show-next-unread-message
> > > will skip through all messages in a thread thinking they are all read
> > > (and actually marking all as read).
> >
> > ...that seems like a fatal bug in this script. Thanks for noting that
> > Sebastian.
>
> I certainly don't see it as fatal, but it is something we should
> resolve.  I think the simplification that the patch provides is worth
> it.

Well, it is fatal in the sense that it makes that function useless. But
it's not as bad as it is currently unused. You will only notice it if you
make the "skip to next unread" (interactive) and bind it to a key (which
is what I have done). I still think it's worth taking this patch and fixing it
then.

The solutions I can see are:
- split into a "notmuch-show-next-message"
  and a notmuch-show-show-next-message (what a naming!) function.
  One would merely skip to the next and one actually show and mark unread.
- Introduce a second argument option whether we should mark as unread or not.
- rework "notmuch-show-next-unread-message" to not make use of
  "notmuch-show-next-message" but e.g. to just use
  "notmuch-show-find-next-message" or so.

Does this make any sense?

> I'm seeing the notmuch-show-next-unread-message as a non-interactive
> function that's not currently called by any other functions, and is
> therefore not being used.  Sebastian, are you using that in a private
> function, or am I misreading the code?

Touché. As explained above. I made it interactive and bound it to 'n'.

Sebastian