On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:40:25 -0500, micah anderson <mi...@riseup.net> wrote:
> Due to my harddisk in my laptop being slow (5400RPM), my notmuch
> database growing, and perhaps some fragmentation somewhere, this has
> become *incredibly* annoying for me. I am checking email every 30
> minutes, and I'm nicing and ionicing the processes so I can use my
> machine, but while those processes are running, I'm effectively locked
> out of a good portion of my email.

I also have a very slow disk, but this is very rarely a problem for me.
I retrieve mail every 10 minutes, and the corresponding notmuch new
usually takes a minute or so.  I really haven't found it to be much of a
bother to just wait it out.

One of the suggested ways to develop around this problem would be a
notmuch daemon that would queue database modification requests.  I don't
think anyone has been working on this yet, but if this is a big problem
for you guys, you might start looking into putting one together.

jamie.