So, my conclusion is that we need to export these typeinfo symbols,
and it seems to be sufficient to do so to fix the failing tests and
crashes discussed above. I think I managed to add them to the debian
symbols file in a better way, so every toolchain change and different
architecture doesn't make the symbols checking barf. We'll have to see
about that; at least it builds cleanly on i386 and amd64.

In any case, if no-one has strong objections, I plan to push this
(first to release for the fabled bug-fix release, and then merge to
master).