Austin Clements <amdra...@mit.edu> writes:
> Agreed.  I believe this will also support MH, if I understand MH
> correctly (does anyone actually use MH?)

When I started notmuch, I had all of my mail in one-message-per-file in
various directories, (without these silly "cur" and "new" directories
that maildir uses).

At some point, I did a mass conversion of all of my directories to be
roughly:

        ~/mail/YYYY/MM

So that I keep directories small by just delivering a month's worth of
mail to each directory. This conversion, (and the delivery agent I am
currently using, maildrop), happen to create the silly "cur" and "new"
directories.

So most of my mail still is in maildir format now.

But I do have a few messages in non-maildir directories. These have
generally come into being in cases such as someone providing me a
message to demonstrate a notmuch bug or use case. So in cases like this
I did things like:

        mkdir ~/mail/bug-description
        cp example-file ~/mail/bug-description

I also have a few directories created similarly when I've copied some
downloaded archives from a mailing list into my mail storage. (But often
I've used mb2md for those so the conversion has accidentally created
maildir directories).

I don't know if the non-maildir directories I have are strict "mh
format", (did it have filenames with sequential numbers? I don't
recall).

But my intention with notmuch from the beginning was to support any
one-message-per-file layout without enforcing any particular naming of
directories or files. And I would like to see that preserved.

Since then, we have also supported various semantics when people do
encode information in directories and filenames, (such as ignoring
"cur"/"new" and interpreting maildir flags). This kind of thing does
seem good.

-Carl