David Bremner <da...@tethera.net> writes:

>> Originally I thought this was uneccesarily intrusive, but on a second
>> look I see that there is only one symbol changed that doesn't start with
>> _notmuch, so I guess for consistency it's fine.

Actually, they all start with _notmuch. The symbol
_thread_add_matched_author is not changed.

>> I'm thinking about a 0.18.1 point release for build and portability
>> fixes; I do think this is a bit too much change for that (especially
>> since it doesn't actually fix the symbol hiding test (or more precisely,
>> your fix for OS/X breaks the linux test).

I agree.

> Also, I'd like a less confusing commit message.  Do you understand the
> situation enough to write one now? In particular it's just a convention
> that private symbols should not start with "notmuch", and the actual
> hiding happens elsewhere.

Yes, I now understand the hiding happens elsewhere. There is a note in
devel/STYLE in the "libnotmuch conventions" section that discusses the
use of underscores to denote private library functions; I will cite
that as the reason for the patch instead.

chuck