On 2014-09-02 23:37:12, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Sep 2014, Perttu Luukko <perttu.luu...@iki.fi> wrote:
> > Yes, upgrading to GMime 2.6.20 caused all the messages on my server
> > classified as mail.
>
> What was the old version? If it was 2.4 we should probably consider
> dropping support for that in future notmuch.

It was 2.4.33. It might still work for other people, I don't know. I
still have some ignored mails. If I can nail down why they are ignored
we might now more about why GMime 2.4 ignored even more mail. They were
from around the same time period, so it might have something to do with
the email setup I had at that time.

> > Even more reason to give a separate warning for GMime parse errors.
>
> Not sure. We only get a binary success/fail from GMime, and that gets
> printed for all non-email files. I'm not sure it's helpful.

What I mean that there would be a separate error for cases "Does not
resemble an email message at all", i.e., some control file your mail
server happens to store in the mailbox, and "Looks like mail but we
can't parse it", i.e., better find out why it can't be parsed to avoid
potentially important messages going missing from the database.

--
Perttu