David Bremner <da...@tethera.net> writes:

> David Mazieres <dm-list-email-notm...@scs.stanford.edu> writes:
>> So my question remains, what's the easiest safe way to re-enable
[ 2 more citation lines. Click/Enter to show. ]
>> synchronize_flags after disabling it?  (Safe meaning it won't change any
>> tags.)  It could be that there's a very simple answer, in which case
>> sticking it in the man page might be nice.
>
> I can't think of a simple, safe, and fast answer.

Okay, thanks.  At least I wasn't missing something obvious.

> 2) when the lastmod changes go in, it seems like you could run the first
>    notmuch new after enabling tag synchonizing, and dump only the tag
>    changes since a checkpoint lastmod value. This would allow rolling
>    back the unwanted tag changes.

Indeed, one of many reasons I'm eagerly awaiting lastmod changes.

> [1]: see this potential test, if for some reason we wanted to
>      guarantee this behaviours.

If we did want this, I'm assuming it would take the form of a new option
to notmuch new (--override-flags) which says to do the synchronization
in the other direction (Xapian -> Maildir)?  There would be benefit to
having such a flag, but I don't know how hard it would be to implement,
so I can't do the cost/benefit analysis.

As a kind of aside, one reason people might want to synchronize flags is
for mobile device support.  I don't regularly access my email from my
mobile phone, but on those rare occasions when I might need to, I set up
an IMAP server and use an imap client on the phone.  I wonder if anyone
has thought about implementing an IMAP-ish server directly on top of
libnotmuch.  (I say IMAP-ish because the obvious SEARCH command
implementation wouldn't be RFC3501-compliant, but who cares when notmuch
has something better.)

Does anyone else use both notmuch but also access email from a mobile
device?  If so what do you do?

David