Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+li...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 08:00:18AM -0300, David Bremner wrote:
>>
>> Of course it is getting pretty big, I don't know what to do about
>> that.
>
> How about an overview in notmuch-search-terms with more detailed docs in
> an info page?  coreutils does this.  I don't think this will add any new
> build dependencies either, as sphinx supports info pages.  I see
> texinfo_documents is already defined in doc/conf.py.  Maybe that is an
> option?

I'm not really in favour of requiring anyone who is not already using
emacs to use info.  Of course we could provide the same long form docs
in other formats (most likely html).  I don't know if splitting into
shorter man pages plus a longer manual would really help, but it's
likely we could take better advantage of sphinx. I know that Patrick
Totzke started a rework of the docs

       https://github.com/pazz/notmuch/tree/docs

I don't think that's really in a state to contemplate merging (for one
thing it hasn't kept up with doc changes in master); but maybe somebody
wants to pick up where Patrick left off.