As far as I understand the bindings, the returned message is not needed
because the return
value of `Database._open` (line 212) contains information about the type of
error that occurred.
This is passed on two lines below if the open-call was unsuccessful.

The docstrings for this method are not ideal (the mentioned "status"
parameter is actually called "mode") but in terms of functionality it seems
ok.