notmuch-show--build-buffer now queries a list of queries built by the
former. This simplifies the logic. It also provides an easy place to
experiment with alternate sets of queries for given notmuch-show-*
variables (e.g. users can use advice-add to do so in a surgical way).
emacs/notmuch-show.el | 36 ++++++++++++++++++++++--------------
1 file changed, 22 insertions(+), 14 deletions(-)
diff --git a/emacs/notmuch-show.el b/emacs/notmuch-show.el
index f2487ab..b393c11 100644
@@ -1261,6 +1261,20 @@ matched."
(message "No messages matched the query!")
+(defun notmuch-show--build-queries ()
+ "Return a list of queries to try for this search.
+If `notmuch-show-query-context` is not nil, the first query is
+the conjunction of it and `notmuch-show-thread-id`. The next
+query is `notmuch-show-thread-id` alone, and serves as a fallback
+if the prior matches no messages."
+ (let* ((thread notmuch-show-thread-id)
+ (context notmuch-show-query-context)
+ (push (list thread) queries)
+ (if context (push (list thread "and (" context ")") queries))
(defun notmuch-show--build-buffer (&optional state)
"Display messages matching the current buffer context.
@@ -1268,25 +1282,19 @@ Apply the previously saved STATE if supplied, otherwise
first relevant message.
If no messages match the query return NIL."
- (let* ((basic-args (list notmuch-show-thread-id))
- (args (if notmuch-show-query-context
- (append (list "\'") basic-args
- (list "and (" notmuch-show-query-context ")\'"))
- (append (list "\'") basic-args (list "\'"))))
- (cli-args (cons "--exclude=false"
+ (let* ((cli-args (cons "--exclude=false"
- (forest (or (notmuch-query-get-threads (append cli-args args))
- ;; If a query context reduced the number of
- ;; results to zero, try again without it.
- (and notmuch-show-query-context
- (notmuch-query-get-threads (append cli-args
+ (queries (notmuch-show--build-queries))
+ (forest nil)
;; Must be reset every time we are going to start inserting
;; messages into the buffer.
+ ;; Use results from the first query that returns some.
+ (while (and (not forest) (consp queries))
+ (setq forest (notmuch-query-get-threads
+ (append cli-args (list "'") (car queries) (list "'"))))
+ (setq queries (cdr queries)))
notmuch mailing list