> On Nov 12, 2016, at 11:10 AM, David Bremner <da...@tethera.net> wrote:
>
> Brian Sniffen <b...@evenmere.org> writes:
>

>>> OK, but the patch proposed works both for people who want to be notified
>>> of this problem, and those that don't (with appropriate shell wrapping
>>> checking the return code).
>>
>> I think it will loop; how do I guarantee termination and indexing of all
>> present messages if deletions cause errors?
>
> stop deleting things? You can't guarantee termination and indexing of
> all present messages by ignoring deletions either.

That's hard, given dovecot pointed at the same maildir: it quickly moves files
from new to cur. That makes notmuch insert pretty useless, and I rely on
notmuch new to approach correctness.

But maybe I misunderstand: is the idea that it will return an error but keep
processing?  Or stop on that error?