On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 05:23:06 -0800, Carl wrote:

>   [*] I tried and tried to figure out how to get gnus to save an Fcc (a
>       file copy of all outgoing messages), and failed to configure the
>       various "fake newsgroup things" that gnus wanted for me to be able
>       to do this.

I use this simple recipe for archiving all my outgoing emails and
news-articles in nnml+archive:{news,mail}-{year} in Gnus:

  ; Define nnml+archive: for archiving emails and news in ~/Mail/archive:
  (setq gnus-message-archive-method '(nnml "archive"
                                           (nnml-directory "~/Mail/archive")
                                           (nnml-active-file
"~/Mail/archive/active")
                                           (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
                                           (nnml-inhibit-expiry t)))

  ; Tell Gnus to archive outgoing articles/emails automatically:
  (setq gnus-message-archive-group
        '((if (message-news-p)
              (concat "news-" (format-time-string "%Y"))
            (concat "mail-" (format-time-string "%Y")))))

  ; Mark gcc'ed (archive) as read:
  (setq gnus-gcc-mark-as-read t)

>       The other piece I want is for unsent mail drafts to automatically
>       be saved, and for notmuch to prompt me to continue with a draft if
>       I start composing a new message while a draft is
>       around. Currently, I can save a draft while composing in
>       message-mode with "C-x C-s" but the big bug here is that the
>       drafts never get deleted when I send the message, so I can't tell
>       unfinished drafts apart from completed-and-sent messages.

(This works for me in Gnus: automatic saving, deletion when sending.)

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "I'll dye without my hair!"                                  Adam Sj?gren
                                                         asjo at koldfront.dk