On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:22:01 -0800, Carl Worth <cworth at cworth.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 21:28:03 -0600, "Jeffrey C. Ollie" <jeff at ocjtech.us>
> wrote:
> > Instead of including a private implementation of the SHA1 hash, use
> > libgcrypt.  This means less code of our own to maintain and it will be
> > easier to switch to a different hash function like SHA256.
>
> I don't believe we have a significant code-maintenance burden with
> libsha1.c. And as for different hash functions, the only use of sha-1 in
> notmuch is as a fallback in the case of a message not including a
> Message-ID header.
>
> So I don't see it as important at all to try to remove this code.

Its good that this is not a burden to maintain for the notmuch project,
even better that Mikhail, the libsha1 maintainer, is currently active in
this project and has volunteered to maintain the in-tree copy.

However, the problem that has been raised is about the code-maintenance
burden that distributions face. In fact, this is not an unique problem
to notmuch, if it was it wouldn't be such a big deal. The reality is
that the more projects which cargo-cult around 'convenience copies' of
code, the more of a burden is placed on the distributors.

In some ways, the notmuch project and the role of distributors are at
cross-purposes on this issue, each side has an argument that makes sense