On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 00:03, Jameson Rollins
<jrollins at finestructure.net> wrote:
> Presumably others must be annoyed about having to manually "read" and
> archive all their sent mail, unless there's some other way that people
> having been dealing with this that I'm not aware of.

I haven't switched over to notmuch properly yet, but in my initial
import of my mail I made a couple of patches to notmuch new that let
me get the tags right first. One was to make:

    notmuch new --initial-tags=list,unread

set the initial tags for newly found messages to "list" and "unread"
instead of the default "inbox" and "unread".

The other was to make:

    find Mail/.Saved/ -type f | notmuch new --initial-tags=archived --file-list

only process the mail files listed on stdin (via find), and give them
the explicit tags I specify. That way I could import all my existing
archived mail without it appearing in my inbox or as unread.

Unfortunately the second one ended up complicated and a bit slow (I
think because I'm doing a talloc() for every line on stdin, and
talloc_free() by context every time the base directory changes; that
sort of behaviour was necessary in order to do duplicate checking in a
sane way)

But anyway, that would let you do:

    find Mail/.Drafts/ -type f | notmuch new --initial-tags=draft --file-list
    notmuch new

to get drafts correctly tagged.

(I don't have the patches handy at the moment; but can certainly dig
them up if there's interest)

Cheers,
aj

--