On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 12:35:16 -0800, Jameson Rollins <jrollins at
finestructure.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:40:25 -0500, micah anderson <micah at riseup.net>
> wrote:
> > Due to my harddisk in my laptop being slow (5400RPM), my notmuch
> > database growing, and perhaps some fragmentation somewhere, this has
> > become *incredibly* annoying for me. I am checking email every 30
> > minutes, and I'm nicing and ionicing the processes so I can use my
> > machine, but while those processes are running, I'm effectively locked
> > out of a good portion of my email.
>
> I also have a very slow disk, but this is very rarely a problem for me.
> I retrieve mail every 10 minutes, and the corresponding notmuch new
> usually takes a minute or so.  I really haven't found it to be much of a
> bother to just wait it out.

Sometimes I can have several thousand messages to add/remove from the
database. I know this is probably unusal, but for me its not due to
system emails. I suppose if I checked my email more frequently, I'd have
less to process on each run, but thats more side-stepping the
concurrency issue.

micah