Hey, folks. I've been noticing a couple of issues with message/rfc822 part handling in recent builds of notmuch/master. They are rooted in the new part handling rework that was done recently. I just want to mention them here, to make people aware of them, until we get a chance to address them.
The first issue is that show --format=raw --part on a message/rfc822 part is throwing a gmime exception, even though notmuch is still producing output and returning successfully. I just sent a patch to the list addressing the issues. However, the test suite was apparently unable to catch that something unexpected was being output to stderr, so we still need to address that. Another issue is that we're no longer outputting any of the headers of message/rfc822 parts. This shouldn't be too hard to hack back in, so hopefully I can get to that this weekend. There was also a problem with the emacs display of message/rfc822 parts, and I just sent a patch to the list about that as well. However, there is a larger issue related to the ones above which is that message parts in general are not being handled consistently, including the top level message. amdragon and I were actually discussing this on irc the other day. A possible solution is to make a general message-part-handling function, that handles output of headers and the message body, and call that function both on the top level message and on any message sub parts. I think that would make things a lot cleaner, and would make the output more consistent and intuitive. A somewhat related issue is that the "raw" format for parts is not really doing the expected thing in certain cases, particularly with regards to message parts. dkg and I sort of realized this when we were reworking the part handling a couple weeks ago. One expects, rightfully so, that show --format=raw --part on a message part would output the full, raw, well-formatted rfc822 message enclosed in that part. Currently that is not the case, since, for instance, the headers are not output and the part handling is recursing over all the message sub-parts. I don't know necessarily know the right solution for either of these issues, although I have some ideas (assuming I don't run into gmime limitations). Feedback and suggestions would be wonderful. Unfortunately I don't have time to work on any of these issues at the moment (hopefully this weekend), but I just wanted to throw them out there, in case anyone wants to tackle them before I get to them. jamie. -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/pgp-signature Size: 835 bytes Desc: not available URL: <http://notmuchmail.org/pipermail/notmuch/attachments/20110602/f0f869ca/attachment.pgp>