On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:48:34 -0700 (PDT), (David Bremner) wrote:
>     Probably there is a nicer way to do this; perhaps it should be a
>     configure option.
>     (cherry picked from commit 387dc520dd68cc805e390f3a1399f85b5d5bd83a)

This nicer way involved automatic detection of when rpath is
needed. That was the intent always, but it was broken for a while,
(leading to this patch I believe).

The automatic detection should actually be working now. See the commit
referenced below.

So, you'll want to test it, of course, but I think you can (and should)
drop this override of RPATH_LDFLAGS from the Debian packaging now.

-Carl

commit 574f408816e636f677b14384c18cc2e388991411