On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 20:22:58 -0300, David Bremner <david at tethera.net> wrote:
> The problem is that "notmuch search foo and not bar" will return all
> threads containing a message satisfying "foo" and a message satisfying
> "not bar". This makes
>
>      notmuch search tag:notmuch::patch and not notmuch::pushed
>
> notmuch use.

Actually, I don't think that's true.  Notmuch will only return threads
that contain individual messages that satisfy the given search term.  I
actually just verified this to make sure.

> > Please do *not* remove the ::patch tag.
>
> No, I don't suggest/intend to remove the ::patch tag, only a ::unresolved tag,
> since there seems to be no nice way to search for (not notmuch::resolved).

We could just have a notmuch::resolved tag, which would make that easy.
The we could have additional tags to indicate how it was resolved, if
necessary.

But honestly I really think that for most effectiveness we should keep
the tag space as small as possible.  I think this is going to be
basically impossible, and that things are going to get confusing quickly
(I think this is one of the problems with tagging in general) but I
still think we should try.

jamie.