On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Dmitry Kurochkin
<dmitry.kurochkin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do we need to explicitly declare Emacs dependency for tests? ?There
> should be no need for it. ?We have "implicit" dependencies which are
> declared once (see test_declare_external_prereq calls at the end of
> test-lib.sh) and are automatically handled when a test tries to use a
> missing binary. ?Explicit dependencies are hard to maintain (e.g. your
> patch adds explicit emacs dependency for crypto test but misses gpg).
> With rare exceptions we should not use explicit dependencies.

Because not every test actually has those implicit dependencies. For
example, some of the crypto tests depend upon emacs_deliver_message
working correctly for subsequents tests. Those emacs_deliver_message
tests are skipped, but not the ones after it that try to do something
with that injected message.

For the emacs-* test files, there are some tests that act the same
way. However, it is also a minor speed improvement to say that,
obviously, none of the emacs tests are going to work, so just don't
bother.

--
Mike Kelly