Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I wasn't following the ml.

David Bremner wrote:

> There is apparently still some people that use it (although notice the
> "Vote" column is 0).
>
> On the other hand
>
> - The vim frontend is afaik the last thing depending on the legacy text
>   output format.
>
> - The plugin seems to be only semi-functional at the moment; in a quick
>   test I found a message that didn't display it's content, and one that
>   displayed the content, along with "junk" from the internal
>   representation.

Indeed, I'd say the code is very poor at best.

> - There are now several alternatives for people whose only motivation to
>   use the vim frontend was dislike of emacs (alot and notmuch-mutt).

I did try the emacs frontend, and it was not working properly for me at the
time, and I believe I documented my issues. It was not just my dislike of emacs
that motivated me to write notmuch-vim-ruby.

> There are several alternative vim frontends floating around in (at
> least) ruby and python. I don't if they are better or worse
> functionality wise.

I'd say notmuch-vim-ruby is the best one, but of course I'm biased :)

> I'm considering stopping building debian packages for notmuch-vim, since
> I don't see any current prospects for the package improving.  I'm not
> sure what the equivalent thing to do upstream would be, perhaps moving
> it to contrib. Or, deprecating it and then removing it.
>
> What do people think?

Personally I think notmuch-vim should be replaced with notmuch-vim-ruby. I did
try the python version, and remember discussing options with the guy developing
it, but nothing happened out of it, and I think the ruby version is superior.

I'd be open to discuss the options here, but I think notmuch-vim-ruby is the
only real option.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras