Austin Clements <amdragon at MIT.EDU> writes:

> folder: could work the way I suggested (simply the path to the file,
> with {cur,new} stripped off).

Hmm, so would notmuch try to guess whether or not it's dealing with a
maildir++ tree, and if so convert folder:foo to a search of .foo, and/or
folder:foo/bar to .foo.bar?  Or would the user just need to know to say
folder:.foo and folder:.foo.bar?

And if we're only planning special treatment for for maildir-like
stores, then I wonder if the term should just be maildir:?

Though folder: would make more sense if the long-term goal was to have a
"DTRT" term.  But in that case, I wonder if it might eventually be
expected to support mixed trees, i.e. say a tree containing maildir++
and mh subdirs, and if so, how that should be handled.

> many shells support "**" for recursive path matching and people are
> already quite familiar with glob patterns for paths, so why not simply
> adopt this?

rsync too.

--
Rob Browning