On Wed, Mar 25 2015, Glyn Millington <glyn.millington at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Bremner <david at tethera.net> writes:
>
>> Glyn Millington <glyn.millington at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Greetings!
>>>
>>> Emacs 24.4.1 (Arch Linux if that helps)
>>> Notmuch 0.19
>>>
>>> The problem is that I can neither compose a new email nor reply to an old
>>> email unless I have already used  message mode (via Gnus) first.
>>> I get an error message - Google on the error message below gets me nowhere!
>>>

>> Can you duplicate the error with a minimal .emacs? In particular save
>> the following to "run-notmuch.el" and start emacs with
>>
>> % emacs -Q --load run-emacs.el
>>
>> ;; -8x-------------------------------------------------------------
>> ;; adjust the following line to point to either the .el or .elc of
>> ;; notmuch.el
>>
>> (add-to-list 'load-path "/path/to/notmuch/dot/el")
>> (require 'notmuch)
>> (notmuch-mua-mail)
>>
>> ;; -8x-------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> If that doesn't error, then the most likely trigger is some setting or
>> add on package in your .emacs. Once we know what the trigger is, we can
>> try to figure out where bug lies.
>
> Thanks David,
>
> It didn't error!
>
> A thorough trawl through init.el revealed that this line is the culprit
>
> (setq message-mail-user-agent t)
>
> which refers on to mail-user-agent, which was invoking gnus!
>

> Sorry for the noise.

Instead of noise I think this is valuable information...

... if we had "troubleshooting" (or just put to emacstips.mdwn) page
we could add something along the line:

   emacs -Q -L /path/to/notmuch/elisp/dir --eval "(require 'notmuch)"

(with some explanation) there (e.g. M-x notmuch-hello & M-x notmuch-mua-mail)

(emacs manpage says -L 'add's this dir to load-path -- I verified
it "prepends"! it to load-path (like add-to-list does by default))

> atb
>
> Glyn

Tomi