Thanks so much for your time and the suggestions.

- try running (notmuch-address-matching "dwrz") in *scratch* (or IELM, or M-:) ; this will eliminate company-mode as a suspect, and potentially give you a traceback if something is going wrong.

I can confirm this works in IELM and M-:.

- have a look at the variable notmuch-address-save-filename. Potentially set it (back) to nil to disable persistent caching. If that fixes it, have a look at the corresponding file, see if something corrupted it.

This was not set to anything, but set or unset, it seems to make no difference.

What does seem to make a difference is toggling notmuch-address-use-company. Without it, tab completion seems to work in message mode, although it's not very useful. With it on, I get no completion.

Is what I'm seeing potentially a misconfiguration, or bug in company-mode?

The last customizations I made to my init was editing my text-mode-hook (where I did specify some company-backends) and then just some minor counsel and ripgrep related changes. I haven't touched my notmuch-related config in some time. However I don't have my init under version control, and it is a mess, so perhaps I'm missing something. : ( FWIW, fish is also not a recent development.

David Bremner <da...@tethera.net> writes:

david wen riccardi-zhu <d...@dwrz.net> writes:
Address completion worked out of the box for me with notmuch and Emacs. Recently, it's stopped working. I've tried setting notmuch-address-command to internal, as well as toggling notmuch-address-toggle-internal-completion, but neither has been able to return the functionality.

"stopped working" usually suggests some configuration change to me. It would be helpful to know what precisely changed. As far as debugging, I had two ideas to try. - try running (notmuch-address-matching "dwrz") in *scratch* (or IELM, or M-:) ; this will eliminate company-mode as a suspect, and potentially give you a traceback if something is going wrong. - have a look at the variable notmuch-address-save-filename. Potentially set it (back) to nil to disable persistent caching. If that fixes it, have a look at the corresponding file, see if something corrupted it.
I use: Arch Linux X86-64, Kernel 4.15.7-1-ARCH fish shell

fish breaks lots of assumptions for shells, but I guess you didn't just switch.
notmuch 0.26

some subtle things changed with respect to starting external processes in notmuch 0.26; if your recent configuration change was upgrading notmuch, that might be worth further investigation.

--
dwrz|朱为文