This obsolete the series starting at
id:20210602233108.855449-1-da...@tethera.net

Alan reported that this fix worked for him in tree-mode, which is
great. In my tests, there is actually an uncaught exception that makes
me think the tree / subject window is not quite working in tree-mode,
but according to my tests (included in the new series), it _is_
working in unthreaded view.

The other change since the initial series is that both invocations of
notmuch-show are now wrapped in a let-binding of
notmuch-show-single-message.

>From an API point of view, the thing we have to decide is if we are
going to support notmuch-show-single-message for the forseeable
future, or if we should namespace it to indicate it is internal.