> > Yep. If you choose to use MELPA, you need to (somehow) keep the notmuch
> > binary in sync.
>
> Yeah, that's exactly what I've done. And the bug is unrelated to the
> binary: it's in the notmuch-tree function (see the lower part of the bug
> report).

I'm not a notmuch developer, but I think that the point is that if
you're using "unstable" MELPA (i.e. not Stable MELPA), then your emacs
package will be based on the latest development version (tip of git
master).  If you've built the notmuch binary from a release, then the
notmuch binary and the emacs package won't be in sync.

The latest development version of notmuch does have a sort option:

https://git.notmuchmail.org/git?p=notmuch;a=commit;h=32f42581e35ee0ebdd89c4cb44292e7979dc5eb7

but it hasn't yet been included in any "released" version of notmuch.

If you use use-package, then I'd recommend adding MELPA stable to your
package-archives and pinning notmuch to melpa-stable:

(use-package notmuch :pin melpa-stable)

It won't solve the issue of notmuch-emacs being out of sync with
repository packages (at least not on stable distros), but it will make
it easier to keep up with from-source binary builds (or binaries from
Nix/Guix if you use that).

Adam