Michael J Gruber <g...@grubix.eu> writes:

> So, either notmuch should export `NOTMUCH_CONFIG` into the environment
> which it runs the hooks in (if overriden by `--config`), or, as Uwe
> suggests, and in the light of other variables like `NOTMUCH_PROFILE`,
> `--config` could be deprecated so that users automatically do "the right
> thing". Seems to be more future proof.

The --config argument is pretty useful (for me) when debugging, so I
don't support its removal (at least that's what we usually mean by
deprecation, a precursor to removal).

Until someone (TM) is inspired to work through what variables to
propagate, and how to populate them (whether it suffices just to
preserve the environment, or whether values have to be synthesised), we
could certainly update the docs for --config to direct people to use
environment vars if they need propagation.