The notmuch build system puts -I and -L flags in the wrong order.

Specifically, -I flags the user might specify in the CPPFLAGS environment
variable appear before the -I flags for the project's own directories,
resulting in build failure if a previous version of notmuch (whose headers
differ sufficiently from the new version) was already installed.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63274

Similarly, -L flags the user might specify in the LDFLAGS environment variable
appear before the -L flags for the project's own directories, resulting in
build failure if a previous version of notmuch (whose libraries differ
sufficiently from the new version) was already installed.

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/63665