Hello notmuch maintainers,

As discussed on IRC, I'm seeing if I can add notmuch.el to NonGNU ELPA.

Currently the build is failing and Stefan Monnier, who designed the
packaging scripts, suggests adding a Version: header to notmuch.el:

On Tue 20 Dec 2022 at 02:44PM -05, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> +  :make ("emacs/notmuch-pkg.el" "emacs/notmuch-version.el")
>
> (Non)GNU ELPA really wants to create the <foo>-pkg.el from the headers
> in the <foo>.el main file.  The above may sometimes work but will bite
> us sooner or later.
>
>> +  ;; FIXME: notmuch-pkg.el is not committed to Git.
>
> Please don't fix this.  If it's in the Git it gets worse (tends to
> create spurious conflicts while building the package.  Our scripts
> *should* be resilient to such problems, but based on past experience,
> I doubt they are yet in all cases).
> [...]
> The fix should start by adding a `Version:` to the `notmuch.el` file.
> [...]
> But in any case, a `grep 0.37` in the repository shows that they already
> have two copies of the version number (one in `version.txt` and one in
> `bindings/python/notmuch/version.py`), so adding a third shouldn't
> be a big deal.

I know that you don't want to commit notmuch-pkg.el to git, and that's
in fact undesirable from a NonGNU ELPA point of view, it turns out.  But
given how there is already version.txt and version.py, could we have a
header in notmuch.el too, do you think?

Thanks.

--
Sean Whitton