Hi Felipe

> I'm moving from mbsync to public-inbox and I find there aren't many tools to
> make it work with notmuch.

Looking at that, too.

> I gave a try to notmuch-lore [1] but I found it too slow and had a couple of
> issues.
>
> So I wrote my own script to convert public-inbox mailing lists to Maildir
> format: notmuch-tools/inbox-update [2].
>
> It's much faster at the initial clone, it deals with deleted mails, and YAML
> is
> a much better configuration format.

Looking at both scripts: Is the speed-up mainly due to `git cat-file`
vs. `git show`?

> Also, you can configure which epochs you want to fetch (notmuch-lore fetches
> all of them).
>
> One thing it doesn't yet do is trim the repository once the mails have been
> converted, but that's probably easy to add later on.

What kind of trimming are you thinking about here? Partial history?

I guess this shows that public-inbox's repo format is simply not the
best choice for the purpose of mail readers. It is optimised for other
uses, and I always wondered why they use a non-bare repo at all. That
single file path m at the root creates absolutely meaningless diffs.
And the commit message doubles the info which is present in the blob.
notes-ref could have served better for inspiration of public-inbox.
(Barking up the wrong tree, I know.)

There are even tools in the public-inbox eco system which feed that
info into a xapian db, though not notmuch-like, as if notmuch hadn't
existed already.

What I'm dreaming of is a notmuch "storage backend" which is git
object db based rather than maildir based, and compatible with
public-inbox (at least with the use case, i.e. v3 or v4...). I mean -
why do we need a checkout of basically immutable files which are
stored in blobs already, just so that notmuch can index them?

We need them for the MUAs, I know, and we would need a solution for
them, too. Or simply a tree in public-inbox which allows clients to
use a mere checkout ...

Cheers,
Michael