Thanks for the prompt reply. My comments are below.

Pekka Paalanen wrote:
0005:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Hmm, note the bus id.

I actually did, but I have no idea how to interpret this. x86 linux show only 3 numbers for every device, but this server has 6 PCI roots with separate bus numbering so if we want to use 3 numbers system, the bus-id needs to be fixed somehow...

[r...@localhost ~]# ls -la /dev/fb*
crw------- 1 root root 29, 0 2009-02-13 10:19 /dev/fb

This is offb, right? If it is nvidiafb, you need to use... can't recall,
see here: http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/Kernel_Framebuffer_Driver

The device you should get from nouveau DRM is /dev/dri/card0.
Note this place. I'll ask later :)

(II) Primary Device is: PCI 0...@05:00:0

Above it says bus id (5...@1:0:0) and here 0...@05:00:0...
could that be the problem?

I'd like anybody to tell what do they write (or see after auto-config) as PCI-id for their videos on ppc. I think that it might be a problem.

Section "Device"
        Driver      "nouveau"
        VendorName  "nVidia Corporation"
        BoardName   "NV44 [GeForce 6200 LE]"
        BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"

And this is a third bus id, different from the two above?
It's confusing at least. Try without any BusID in config?

For example? What string would at least look correct? I did try a lot of them but to no avail.
3. what am I doing wrong in my expirements? I can see 4 types of drivers:
- original drivers coming with the fedora10 kernel (I got rid of them before started playing with nouveau because they did not create even /dev/fb*);

That's the kernel framebuffer driver device, which is usually harmful
to accelerated X.org drivers, but since you have ppc, you probably
need something. The offb driver in kernel should work.

Is /dev/dri/card0 the only device node needed for X? Do not we need /dev/fb(0)
as well? Or we need both, do we?

- drm drivers (which are replacement for the original onesm right?)
Original what?
Original I meant is the .ko which appears after compiling the Linux kernel with the nVidia driver enabled as a module. My point was that there can be only it OR drm driver loaded. At least, the original drriver does not start (and does not create /dev/fb - I am not sure tha it has to, but anyway) because it fails on reading the nVidia registers in the very beginning (while executing its _probe) - all the memory space mapped via PCI BAR0 is empty.

DRM modules are the kernel part of the Nouveau driver. Without them you
don't get any acceleration. These are not kernel framebuffer drivers (yet,
at least).

But is the original (from the linux kernel tree) driver required to make things working at all?

- x.org drivers (which I've not changed/replaced)

nouveau_drv.so, required, from git.

It is accessed via /dev/dri/card0, right?

- mesa drivers - what is their role - I still do not understand.

3D acceleration. Not in any usable state at this time, and not
included in any Mesa release yet. You can just forget it and enjoy
software OpenGL rendering.

Cool! There are already too many things so excluding any of them is helpful :-)

Actually I start thinking that I need to look for the linux capable to start with X on PlayStation3. It can have clues...