On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 7:41 PM, Sid Boyce <sbo...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/12/13 10:36, Ilia Mirkin wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 5:14 AM, Sid Boyce <sbo...@blueyonder.co.uk>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> System x86_64 with openSUSE 13.1.
>>> X.Org version: 1.14.99.905
>>>
>>> openSUSE 12.2 kernels boot successfully into a graphical screen, login to
>>> KDE4, etc. all normal.
>>>
>>> 3.13-rc kernels boot fully with X running but no graphical screen and it
>>> freezes in VC with not all the startup messages displayed but I could ssh
>>> in
>>> from another box to check dmesg and logs.
>>>
>>> Xorg.0.log which I thought I had saved did not log an error.
>>>
>>> dmesg said "nouveau Playlist update failed".
>>>
>>> Changed the GeForce GT 560 Ti for a GeForce 8600 GT and 3.13.0-rc6 is up
>>> and
>>> running.
>>>
>>> If necessary I can go back to the GT 560 Ti to gather dmesg and Xorg log
>>> information.
>>
>> Having a dmesg would be nice. One thing I can think of off-hand is
>> that 3.13-rc has MSI turned on by default. You can turn it off by
>> adding "nouveau.config=NvMSI=0" to your kernel cmdline. If that
>> doesn't help, a bisect restricted to drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau should
>> show the offending commit fairly quickly.
>>
>>    -ilia
>>
> Adding "nouveau.config=NvMSI=0" to the command line fixed the problem.
> So it looks like commit 049ffa8ab33a63b3bff672d1a0ee6a35ad253fe8 introduced
> it.

Any chance you might mmiotrace the blob (version 325 or later) to see
which registers it fiddles with? Or alternatively, if you have a NVCE
card (you never did end up providing the logs which would have made
that apparent), could you try replacing nvc3_mc_oclass with
nvc0_mc_oclass for the 0xce case in
drivers/gpu/drm/nouveau/core/engine/device/nvc0.c? (and boot without
the MSI disabling.) The switch has already been made for NVC8 in
0bae1d61c75 -- perhaps there are more "odd" ones.

  -ilia