I retested with both 4.8.4, Ben’s linux-4.9 and linux-4.10 branches (so only
the linux-4.10 branch had the atomic+MST patches).
For all branches, if I bootplug the external screen, I get nothing on the
external screen, and the laptop screen is frozen with some mix of images (but
the laptop itself is not locked up), nothing in dmesg. If I hotplug the screen,
the laptop screen is not frozen, but starting with linux-4.10, I get an EVO
timeout when turning off the external monitor. Adding your patch did not change
anything for me.
Looks like I’ll need to spend some more time testing and bisecting those
issues…

Pierre