On 2016-12-16 12:52, Ilia Mirkin wrote:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Joseph D. Wagner
<j...@josephdwagner.info> wrote:

When using the nouveau driver, my screen freezes (and stays frozen) when it starts to more than a minimum amount of work. To fix this, I've been using the nvidia driver with the Preferred Mode set to Prefer Maximum Performance.

It looks like equivalent settings in nouveau are NvClkMode and NvMemExec. However, I didn't see any documentation specifying the valid options for
these settings?

What are the valid options for NvClkMode?

This takes the decimal (!) value of the pstate you want to clock to on
boot. The valid pstates are defined by your VBIOS, and are visible in
/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate (in hex).

These are my options. I've tried both 14 (0e) and 15 (0f). Both appear to work. Is there a difference?
07: core 405 MHz memory 648 MHz
0a: core 405-967 MHz memory 1620 MHz
0e: core 405-1241 MHz memory 6008 MHz
0f: core 405-1241 MHz memory 6008 MHz AC DC *
AC: core 405 MHz memory 6007 MHz

0f is currently selected in the above.

Based on the little information you provided, I doubt your hangs have
much to do with the performance level. (Unless you meant to say "When
using the nvidia driver ... ".)

If I run it without NvClkMode at boot time, it will freeze on me after moderate use while using the nouveau driver.

If I run it with NvClkMode=14 or NvClkMode=15, it appears to work fine (from the small amount of testing I've done).

Joseph D. Wagner