On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 5:32 PM, Karl Schmidt <k...@xtronics.com> wrote:
> So I'm guessing that nouveau computes the modelines from the combination of
> what the card and edid claim they support.

With some limitations, it will take the list of modelines in the EDID
(which, mind you, might be just VIC id's), and compare it to what it
believes the hw capabilities are, and pass through only that list of
modelines that it thinks the hw will generate. This is what you should
see in the xrandr --verbose list. For HDMI, we currently have a hack
to allow up to 297MHz pixel clocks for Kepler+ GPUs. However for HDMI
2.0, I think there's some more stuff. And it's not clear that we're
parsing the capabilities correctly on such GPUs.

> The main wiki page probably ought to say what subsets of HDMI nouveau
> supports.  Some of the chip sets from back in the 900 series support hdmi2.0
> - so to say nouveau supports that chip sort of implies that it does hdmi2.0.

If you have concrete suggestions for improving any specific page, I'd
be happy to make the edits for you. Unfortunately many parts of the
wiki are "too far gone" so to speak, in terms of
inaccuracy/incompleteness.

Cheers,

  -ilia