You can check the perf level your GPU is at, and potentially adjust it.

cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/pstate

This should give a list of levels like "xx: stuff", with the "AC"
level being the current settings. Echo'ing any one of the xx's into
that file will attempt to switch to a different performance level.
Sometimes it works, other times it kills the GPU until you reboot. Use
with care.

Cheers,

  -ilia