On Mon, 30 Jan 2023 at 23:02, Christian König <christian.koe...@amd.com> wrote:

> Am 29.01.23 um 19:46 schrieb Danilo Krummrich:

> >> A range in the sense of the GPUVA manager simply represents a VA
> >> space allocation (which in case of Nouveau is taken in userspace).
> >> Userspace allocates the portion of VA space and lets the kernel know
> >> about it. The current implementation needs that for the named
> >> reasons. So, I think there is no reason why this would work with one
> >> GPU, but not with another. It's just part of the design choice of the
> >> manager.
> >>
> >> And I'm absolutely happy to discuss the details of the manager
> >> implementation though.

> >> And those are the ones I'm looking for. Do you mind sharing the
> >> requirements for amdgpu in particular?

> >> Right, for Nouveau we have this in userspace as well.

> >> Until here this seems to be identical to what I'm doing.
> >>
> >> It'd be interesting to know how amdgpu handles everything that
> >> potentially happens between your 3) and 4). More specifically, how
> >> are the page tables changed when memory backed mappings are mapped on
> >> a sparse range? What happens when the memory backed mappings are
> >> unmapped, but the VKBuffer isn't de-allocated, and hence sparse
> >> mappings need to be re-deployed?
> >>
> >> Let's assume the sparse VKBuffer (and hence the VA space allocation)
> >> is pretty large. In Nouveau the corresponding PTEs would have a
> >> rather huge page size to cover this. Now, if small memory backed
> >> mappings are mapped to this huge sparse buffer, in Nouveau we'd
> >> allocate a new PT with a corresponding smaller page size overlaying
> >> the sparse mappings PTEs.
> >>
> >> How would this look like in amdgpu?

> > I just took some time digging into amdgpu and, surprisingly, aside
> > from the gpuva_regions it seems like amdgpu basically does exactly the
> > same as I do in the GPU VA manager. As explained, those region
> > boundaries are needed for merging only and, depending on the driver,
> > might be useful for sparse mappings.
> >
> > For drivers that don't intend to merge at all and (somehow) are
> > capable of dealing with sparse regions without knowing the sparse
> > region's boundaries, it'd be easy to make those gpuva_regions optional.
>
> Yeah, but this then defeats the approach of having the same hw
> independent interface/implementation for all drivers.

I think you are running a few steps ahead here. The plan isn't to have
an independent interface, it's to provide a set of routines and
tracking that will be consistent across drivers, so that all drivers
once using them will operate in mostly the same fashion with respect
to GPU VA tracking and VA/BO lifetimes. Already in the tree we have
amdgpu and freedreno which I think end up operating slightly different
around lifetimes. I'd like to save future driver writers the effort of
dealing with those decisions and this should drive their user api
design so to enable vulkan sparse bindings.

Now if merging is a feature that makes sense to one driver maybe it
makes sense to all, however there may be reasons amdgpu gets away
without merging that other drivers might not benefit from, there might
also be a benefit to amdgpu from merging that you haven't looked at
yet, so I think we could leave merging as an optional extra driver
knob here. The userspace API should operate the same, it would just be
the gpu pagetables that would end up different sizes.

Dave.