Should it not also advertise that routing assumes that either spanning tree is running or that the physical topology contains no loops to function correctly.

Martin Casado wrote:
Ah, I'm starting to understand what is going on. Routing has no notion of subnets, vlans etc. It doesn't operate like a standard ipv4 router (perhaps the name should be changed to avoid confusion).

Routing operates as follows:
- It pulls in the authenticator component which tracks MAC addresses and the switch ports they are bound to - For each packet in which the destination MAC address has been discovered, a point to point route is calculated and a flow entry is added to each switch along path.
- If the destination MAC has not been discovered, the packet is flooded

It doesn't, however, have an ARP stack. So if you're host is configered with the first switch as the next hop, the ARP packet will be flooded, to no effect.

This is a roundabout way of saying that, "yes" in order to operate correctly, all hosts must be on the same subnet.
hope this all makes sense,
.martin

The switch application does not work under my vlan configuration, and it should not as each the two end hosts reside in different subnets.

It seems that the routing module expects all datapaths to be within the same openflow vlan instance. Basically this means that if H1 is in one vlan instance and H2 is in the other, then these hosts will never be able to communicate. I do not know if this issue is specific to hardware openflow implementations, but I believe so.

The solution that I have found so far is to put all datapaths in the same vlan. This seems to solve the problem, and the routing module picks up routes.

Let me know if I have missed something.

Cheers.

Martin Casado wrote:
What I don't understand is why I don't see packets sent to Nox in the debugging output you sent out. I would expect some output from authenticator or routing. My suspicion is that the switch is not forwarding packets to Nox under the VLAN configuration you're testing.

Does the switch application work under your VLAN configuration?

Hi Martin,
If I put the two end hosts in the same vlan and ping them it works fine. But when they are in different vlans the arp requests are not resolved, the only flow which is added is the one I quoted in my original email. So I am positive that the packets are making it to nox. What is the scenario in which the routing module works best? Could you give me some pointers as to how the routing module works?

Thanks for your help,