Hi Guanyao,

I haven't seen this error myself, but looking at the code it looks like it
is raised when a OFPT_ERROR is received from a switch, and looking at the
spec it looks like switches send this when the negotiated OF version is not
supported:

"If the negotiated version is supported by the recipient, then the
connection pro- ceeds. Otherwise, the recipient must reply with an
OFPT_ERROR message with a type field of OFPET_HELLO_FAILED, a code
field of OFPHFC_COMPATIBLE,
and optionally an ASCII string explaining the situation in data, and then
terminate the connection."

and type=3 seems to correspond to: "OFPET_FLOW_MOD_FAILED,      /* Problem
modifying flow entry. */"

and code=1 and code=3 seems to correspond to:
"OFPFMFC_OVERLAP, /* Attempted to add overlapping flow with CHECK_OVERLAP
flag set. */"
and
"OFPFMFC_BAD_EMERG_TIMEOUT /* Flow not added because of non-zero idle/hard
timeout*/"
respectively.
(pages 39-40 on the OF1.0 spec)

These messages are pretty much self-explanatory, so check that you are
setting the relevant fields in order to do what you are trying to.

Regards