Some of this is at least lightly documented on the wiki:
http://noxrepo.org/noxwiki/index.php/Developing_in_NOX

(Please feel free to extend it!)

There's a bit more info about the meta files in the FAQ:
http://noxrepo.org/noxwiki/index.php/FAQ#Where_can_I_see_and_edit_the_code_that_corresponds_to_different_NOX_components.3F

Really quickly and informally, the meta files (formerly meta.xml, now
meta.json) are what really specify a NOX component.  Specifically, they:
1. Define a component name ("name" key).  These are the names that, for
example, can be specified on the nox_core commandline.
2. Specify which code corresponds to a component ("library" and "python" keys).
 A component may be a shared library or a Python module or both.  NOX will load
the specified library/module, and execute a factory in order to get an actual
component instance (the mechanism for this is somewhat different in Python and
in C++).  You only need to specify the library/module where this factory comes
from.
3. Specify dependencies ("dependencies" key).  This is a list of other
components which this component relies on.  NOX will attempt to load these
automatically.

Hope that helps.

-- Murphy