Murphy pointed out that this could be because of the "-j 5" flag. This flag
"make" to run 5 jobs at a time.
Indeed, from the wiki:
"The *../configure* step checks for required dependencies. 'make -j 5'
should work on a system with 1 GB of RAM; 'make -j' may work on systems
with more RAM."
I was indeed compiling in a vm with 1gb ram, and running "make" without '-j
5' worked. It looks like 'authenticator' and 'user_event_log' are the most
memory intensive components to compile. Or there's a breaking change with a
more recent version of g++. Or a combination :>
Anyway, give that a try, I'm guessing that this will work for you too.