Hello,

DSR doesn't define which routing metric should be used. The
implementation
in ns-2 uses minumum hop.

>From the DSR draft -
Each implementation of DSR at any node MAY choose any appropriate
strategy and algorithm for searching its Route Cache and
selecting a "best" route to the destination from among those found.

The jitter helps reduce the number of potential collisions caused by
multiple nodes replying to a route request at the same time.

Bryan
Bryan's NS-2 Dynamic Source Routing FAQ
http://www.geocities.com/b_j_hogan/