On 3/9/06, Augusto Neto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The reasons for configurarion fo the RED parameters given by Mrs. Sally
> Floyd, as could see, takes into account the queue management goal. Decisions
> about the dynamically set of the weights are not clear in the text, at least
> considering QoS. Moreover, it is older than the DiffServ :-) that was
> standardized in 1998.

That's right. Its goal is to have a proper queue management, and it
did not address about the parameter settings dynamically. However, I
became to understand how I set the parameters dynamically by reading
the article.

> My problem concerns on choosing the correct value to set the per-queue
> weights according to the bit rate of a flow. For instance, my work consider
> that before the adimition of a flow it is necessary to reserve resources for
> it, its bit rate in the case. So, if the bit rate is 3Mb I need to configure
> the scheduler to reserve 3Mb. In ns-2 the reservation concerns in setting
> the weights correct?

RED is exceptionally parameter senstive, and it is hard to say which
values are right for a particular case, as you may know. There are
normally 4 important parameters though.

1) max thresh: maxthresh = queue_size / 2
2) min thresh: minthresh = maxthresh / 3
3) max_p: max_p = 2 * packet_loss_rate
4) q_w: no definitive answer, but it is almost fine if you leave it to
0.002 (ns-2 default value)

This is regarded as a general rule to set the RED paramemters for a
simulation, but not for the real world.

Soo-Hyun