Of-cource you can,

I have installed ns-2 in XP (with cygwin) and I can run it smoothly.

I also have installed both ns-2.29 and ns-2.28 in my Debian Workstation
and when I connect with ssh, (where no X servers are available), both of
them run smoothly.

No, you do not NEED an X server to run ns. However, you do need
it if you want to run NAM, xgraph, DDD and any other tool that might require
X.

For the core ns - simulator, it is not a requirement.

-Fk

> From: "zenith siea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: ns-users@ISI.EDU
> Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 18:15:28 +0800
> Subject: [ns] error in installing ns on linux without Xwin
> i have just installed my linux os, and no Xwin server installed, no
> gnome,kde.
> but some thing go wrong when i am trying to install ns:
> ./install
> it failed, it just told me:
> {standard input}:666: Error: symbol 'dy' is already defined
> {standard input}:673: Error: symbol 'dx' is already defined
> {standard input}:724: Error: symbol 'q' is already defined
> {standard input}:734: Error: symbol 'p' is already defined
> {standard input}:741: Error: symbol 'q' is already defined
> {standard input}:748: Error: symbol 'p' is already defined
> make: *** [tk3d.o] Error 1
> tk8.3.2 make failed! Exiting ...
> For problems with Tcl/Tk see http://www.scriptics.com
>
> i am about to ask, can ns be installed in linux without xwindow server?
> if yes, how would i configure before install?
> many many thanks!

-Fk

--
Filippos N Kolovos